My shirt is red.
(It’s my shirt.)
Yours is blue.
(Your shirt is blue)
He’s not wearing his.
(He’s not wearing his shirt.)
Hers is blue.
(Her shirt is blue.)
The strawberry is red.
Its skin is red.
(“Its” is hard to use as a possessive pronoun. It’s often better to use the possessive adjective instead.)
This is our website.
This website is ours.
Those uniforms of yours look great.
My dog is brown.
Theirs are gold.
Note: it’s also possible to say, “Theirs is gold,” if they have just one dog. A possessive pronoun is singular or plural depending on the antecent. An “antecedent” is the word or words to which the pronoun refers.
Directions: Complete each sentence with a matching verb and a possessive pronoun that matches the subject. (20 points)
He wore his raincoat today.
She wore hers today, too.
1. I rode my bike to school today.
You ____________________________to school today, too.
2. They visit their relatives in the summer.
We _____________________________in the winter.
3. My wife works on her computer in an office.
I ______________________________at home.
4. They brought their dog to the park.
You ____________________________to the park, too.
5. He teaches his classes with a computer.
She ___________________________with a computer, too.
6. She likes her classes.
He ___________________________, too.
7. I ate my breakfast quickly.
My kids _________________________quickly, too.
8. You got your hair cut.
I ______________________________cut, too.
9. We got our mail already.
They _________________________ already, too.
10. I listen to my radio in the car.
You __________________________at home.
Directions: Complete each sentence with the possessive pronoun that matches the word in parentheses.
My car doesn’t work.
His doesn’t work either. (a man)
1. Her back hurts.
_____________ hurts a little, too. ( I )
2. Their house needs a lot of work.
_______________ needs a lot of work, too. (you)
3. My tires are low.
______________ are low, too. (a woman)
4. His house is on this street.
______________ is on this street, too. (a woman)
5. Your order will be ready soon.
_____________ will be ready in ten minutes. (a group of people)
6. His wisdom teeth were pulled last year.
________________ were pulled a few years ago. ( I )
7. Your wife is a really good cook.
________________ is a good cook, too. (my brother)
8. My handwriting isn’t very good.
_________________ isn’t very good either. (my sister)
9. Their tuition for school increased this year.
_________________ increased this year, too. (we)
10. Her English test is this week.
__________________ was last week. (a man)