Be – Past Tense
The verb “be” has two forms in the past tense:
was and were
Listen and read with me:
I was in my classroom yesterday.
|You were there, too.|
He was at a movie last night.
She was at home.
This cantaloupe wasin my garden this morning.
It was delicious.
|We were at school yesterday.|
(I + you = we)
|You were on this website earlier.|
|They were outside in the snow.|
Now, watch this video:
To make a question….
Was I …
Were we …
Were you …
Were you …
Was he …
Were they …
Was she …
Was it …
To make the negative add “not”
He was not in school yesterday.
He wasn’t in school yesterday.
was not = wasn’t / were not = weren’t
Directions: Complete each sentence in the past tense with the verb “be.” Remember how the verb “be” changes.
1. She _______ in school yesterday. (be)
2. They ______ at the store. (be)
3. There ______ a good movie on TV last night. (be)
4. Vindu and Anna ______ here last night. (be)
5. You and I _______ in the classroom this morning. (be)
6. Last night I ______ very tired. (be)
7. There ________ many people at the rally. (be)
8. The restaurant ________ busy on the weekend. (be)
9. The offices ________ closed. (be)
10. You _______ a good soccer player ten years ago. (be)
Directions: Complete each question in the past tense with the verb “be.” (10 points)
1. ________ the store employees helpful?
2. ________ I helpful?
3. _______ she here last February?
4. ________ it a bad accident?
5. ________ there anything to eat at the party?
6. ________ a doctor available?
7. ________ they good apples?
8. ________ there a lot of people at the beach?
9. ________ we here before?
10. ________ the woman interested in the movie?
Directions: Complete each sentence in the past tense with the verb “be” in the negative form. Use “not” in the form of a contraction: wasn’t / weren’t
1. He ________ at work on Monday.
2. It _________ a difficult test.
3. The government _________ very good five years ago.
4. You _________ in love with her.
5. I __________ online last night.
6. The performers __________ very funny.
7. The protester _________ hurt.
8. There __________ any strawberries in the garden.
9. That _________ a good book.
10. The leaders of the organization ________ in jail.