A possessive adjective is used before a noun.
A possessive pronoun is not used before a noun.
I am a teacher.
This is my website.
This website is mine.
You are a student.
Is that your chair?
Is that chair yours?
He is playing his guitar.
The guitar is his.
This is a woman.
Her hair is red.
My hair is brown. Hers is red.
This is a crocodile.
It‘s showing its teeth.
(“Its” is used for animals and things.)
We are working on ourwebsites.
The websites are ours.
(mine + yours = ours)
You are students.
You are in yourclassroom. This classroom is yours.
They are children.
They are eating theirpopsicles. The popsicles are theirs.
Part A. – Possessive Adjectives
Directions: Use the correct possessive adjective. The subject in each sentence will help you with your decision.
1. I have a computer on _________ desk.
2. You have a computer on _________ desk.
3. He likes to play with _________ dog.
4. We don’t know __________ neighbors very well.
5. The cat doesn’t like __________ food.
6. The students left _________ classroom very quickly.
7. You all have __________ own ideas about politics.
8. I really want to see __________ friends this weekend.
9. They spend __________ money on junk.
10. Robert is very happy with __________ new job.
11. Mary thinks __________ apartment is too small.
12. Where are you going on __________ vacation?
13. The city has _________ own fire department.
14. You and I are having lunch with _________ teacher.
15. Did you finish __________ work on time?
16. Jim and Sal love __________ new house.
17. Can I have __________ car back, please?
18. John can’t fix __________ sink.
19. Does Martha have ___________ keys?
20. We should bring __________ coats to the game.
21. This classroom is my classroom. __________
22. Are these books your books? ____________
23. He has his own car and I have my own car. _________
24. Her English is good, and his English is good too. _______
25. I think this money is her money. ________
26. Your children are smart, and so are our children. _________
27. Our work is finished; their work isn’t. ___________
28. Those tickets are his tickets. ___________
29. Your garden looks great, but my garden doesn’t. _________
30. Her song was good, and I liked your song, too. _________