1. Alex ___ that he had taken the test five times.
2. Almost every part of our lives computerized over the past 10 years.
A. have been
B. has been
D. had done
3. Mike didn’t ___ at Jill’s party last night because he had a headache.
A. show up
B. come up
C. make up
D. hang up
4. I went to Los Angeles fifteen years ___.
D. next to
5. He seems ___ as surprised by the news as we were.
A. to being
C. to was
D. to have been
6. Kate usually ___ to class by bicycle, but today she went by bus because of the rain.
7. Frank ___ a TV show when Karen got home.
D. was watching
8. The couple must need a ___ because they have just returned from a long journey.
9. We ___ her for more than twenty years.
C. have known
D. are known
10. His father ___ a lawyer, but now he’s a politician.
A. is used to be
B. was used to be
C. use to be
D. used to be
11. We were asked not to disturb the baby because he ___.
A. is sleeping
C. was sleeping
12. He has studied English ___ he was in elementary school.
C. as long as
13. While Steve was washing his car, he ___ some dents in the doors.
B. is discovering
C. was discovering
D. has discovered
14. By the time he arrived at the ___, the movie had ended.
A. doctor’s office
15. Ever since he arrived, he ___ quietly in the corner.
B. has been sitting
D. is sitting