201.Directions: For each question in this part, you will hear four statements about a picture in your test book. When you hear the statements, you must select the one statement that best describes what you see in the picture. Then find the number of the question on your answer sheet and mark your answer. The statements will not be printed in your test book and will be spoken only one time.
Directions: You will hear a question or statement and three responses spoken in English. They will not be printed in your test book and will be spoken only one time. Select the best response to the question or statement and mark the letter (A), (B), or (C) on your answer sheet.
You will hear: Where is the meeting room?
You will also hear:
A/ To meet the new director.
B/ It’s the first room on the right.
C/ Yes, at two o’clock.
The best response to the question “Where is the meeting room?” is choice (B), “It’s the first room on the right,” so (B) is the correct answer. You should mark answer (B) on your answer sheet.
Directions: You will hear some conversations between two people. You will be asked to answer three questions about what the speakers say in each conversation. Select the best response to each question and mark the letter (A), (B), (C), or (D) on your answer sheet. The conversations will not be printed in your test book and will be spoken only one time.
41. What service is the woman asking about?
A. Room cleaning
B. Laundry service
C. Express check-in
D. Conference room rental
42. When most likely will the woman give a speech?
A. On Sunday
B. On Monday
C. On Tuesday
D. On Wednesday
43. What will the man probably do next?
A. Process the woman’s payment
B. Help the woman with her luggage
C. Take the woman’s jacket
D. Give the woman a bag
44. Why does the woman say the meeting should be postponed?
A. Some important data is missing
B. Some employees will be absent
C. The computer system has a problem
D. An executive is scheduled to visit the office
45. When will the meeting most likely be held?
A. Thursday morning
B. Thursday afternoon
C. Friday morning
D. Friday afternoon
46. What will the man probably do next?
A. Visit a computer facility
B. Take a lunch break
C. Reserve a meeting room
D. Write an e-mail message
47. Why is the man traveling to India?
A. To study at a university
B. To sell his company’s products
C. To attend a conference
D. To look for an apartment
48. What does the man say about the bag?
A. It is lightweight
B. It is fashionable
C. It is too expensive
D. It is too small
49. What does the woman offer to do?
A. Show the man a different part of the shop
B. Look for other products on a computer
C. Give the man a discount
D. Repair an item for the man
50. Why most likely is the woman calling?
A. To change an appointment’s meeting place
B. To remind the man of his appointment
C. To offer the man an appointment
D. To reschedule the man’s appointment
51. At what time Friday will the man most likely visit the Stone Complex?
A. 5:00 P.M
B. 5:30 P.M
C. 6:00 P.M
D. 6:30 P.M
52. What does the woman ask the man to do?
A. Bring photo identification
B. Park in an indoor garage
C. Use public transportation
D. Phone her office shortly before arriving
53. Why is the woman concerned?
A. She missed a deadline
B. She is giving a presentation
C. She is starting a new job
D. She left her home late
54. What is causing the problem?
A. Bad weather conditions
B. A lost passenger
C. Railway construction work
D. Electricity problems in the city
55. Where does the man most likely work?
A. At a bank
B. At a real estate office
C. At a publishing firm
D. At an electricity company
Directions: You will hear some talks given by a single speaker. You will be asked to answer three questions about what the speaker says in each talk. Select the best response to each question and mark the letter (A), (B), (C), or (D) on your answer sheet. The talks will not be printed in your test book and will be spoken only one time.
71. Why have the airline’s jets changed appearance?
(A) It purchased new planes
(B) It changed its slogan
(C) It is celebrating an anniversary
(D) It merged with another airline
72. What will the airline do next month?
(A) Begin an online reservations system
(B) Expand its hours of its operation
(C) Change its name to Globe Airways
(D) Open new ticket counters at airports
73. Who will receive a discount with the airline this month?
(A) New customers
(B) Frequent fliers
(C) First-class travelers
(D) Holders of travel discount cards
74. When will the office open again?
(A) On Thursday
(B) On Friday
(C) On Monday
(D) On Tuesday
75. According to the recording, what does STS provide?
(A) A list of local hotels
(B) Tour guides for groups
(C) Updates on ski conditions
(D) Information for volunteers
76. What should a caller do to speak to a representative?
(A) Record a message
(B) Dial a different extension
(C) Press number one
(D) Stay on the line
77. What is the audience encouraged to do?
(A) Take photos of the performers
(B) Make recordings of the performance
(C) Applaud while standing
(D) Sing during part of the show
78. What is available in the lobby?
(C) Music recordings
(D) Video games
79. What most likely will happen next?
(A) The musical performance will start
(B) Some of the audience will be served a beverage
(C) Tickets for upgraded seats will go on sale
(D) The audience will visit the lobby area
80. What happened yesterday?
(A) A sports contest was postponed
(B) Some local stores were closed
(C) A flower show took place
(D) Local schools canceled classes
81. What does the speaker recommend that the audience do?
(A) Drive more slowly
(B) Avoid outdoor exercise
(C) Turn down their home heating
(D) Visit a nature area
82. What most likely will be heard next?
(A) Sports news
(C) Medical news
(D) Traffic updates
83. What is the purpose of the speech?
(A) To discuss the health benefits of an exercise
(B) To review employee attendance policies
(C) To explain a promotional event
(D) To welcome new staff
84. How long has the speaker worked with the company?
(A) For 3 years
(B) For 5 years
(C) For 10 years
(D) For 20 years
85. What most likely will the speaker do next?
(A) Show a video
(B) Distribute brochures
(C) Demonstrate an exercise
(D) Meet with a customer
In the Reading test, you will read a variety of texts and answer several different types of reading comprehension questions. The entire Reading test will last 75 minutes. There are three parts, and directions are given for each part. You are encouraged to answer as many questions as possible within the time allowed.
You must mark your answers on the separate answer sheet. Do not write your answers in your test book.
Directions: A word or phrase is missing in each of the sentences below. Four answer choices are given below each sentence. Select the best answer to complete the sentence. Then mark the letter (A), (B), (C), or (D) on your answer sheet.
101. Heavy rain caused the ___ of Taylor City’s third annual outdoor arts and crafts festival.
102. Our banquet rooms are capable of ___ events of all types and sizes.
103. The monthly rent cost includes heat and hot water, ___ not electricity and cooking gas.
104. It can often be difficult to ___ real antique furniture from imitation items.
105. Upon ___ of your résumé, one of our skilled recruiters will review it to determine the most suitable position for you.
106. Creating a book of ___ own can be fun and simple with the help of the Writer-Pro desktop publishing program.
107. Riverdale Estates is a luxury condominium community that offers an outstanding ___ of life.
108. You should become thoroughly ___ with your computer and all of its software programs before you take an on-line class.
109. The shipment of TK-421 laptops arrived in stores earlier ___ expected.
110. Most warranties on electronic items do not ___ damage caused by improper use of the device.
111. Call-Tech Plus offers ___ cell phone service at low monthly rates.
112. The car’s trunk is ___ enough to hold luggage for four passengers.
113. The Eagle Room, our largest and most elegant banquet facility, allows groups of up to 200 people to enjoy meals in ___.
114. Telecommuting provides a lot of benefits for ___ the company and the employee.
115. Our summer interns performed all their tasks ___ even though they received only brief training.
D. more capability
116. Hanby Developers specializes in the construction of modest yet comfortable townhomes that even first-time homebuyers can ___.
117. You should not use the Erlian Peak trail ___ you are ready for a long and fairly difficult hike.
118. Market research reports show that a hotel’s level of ___ is an important factor in determining guests’ overall satisfaction.
119. The Liberty Heights Department Store is now proud to offer gift cards in various ___ from $25 to $300.
120. ___ with a valid driver’s license or state photo ID may use the city’s historical research library.
Directions: Read the texts that follow. A word or phrase is missing in some of the sentences. Four answer choices are given below each of the sentences. Select the best answer to complete the text. Then mark the letter (A), (B), (C), or (D) on your answer sheet.
(Questions 141-143 refer to the following classified advertisement.)
Are you ready to earn some extra cash over the holidays?
Paradise Clothing Store wants part-time store clerks needed to help out during our busy holiday shopping season. The positions are perfect for students, parents or anyone else who desires ___ in their work schedule. Come and apply today. We offer paid training, a
D. more flexible
competitive pay ___, and generous employee discounts. But that’s not all. We offer many
more benefits ___ these, including free uniforms, sales bonuses, and regular pay
increases. To find out more about the positions, visit our employment Web site at www.paradise.com.
(Questions 144-146 refer to the following memo.)
INTER OFFICE MEMORANDUM
To: All Operations Department staff
From: Daniel Burnham, Managing Director
Subject: Moving Instructions
I have some good news! Work crews will start our long-awaited office renovation project next Tuesday. During the construction, we will move to offices on the 9th floor. After the upgrades are completed, our office will have a ___ layout that will give us all easy access to equipment.
We do the move on Monday afternoon, and all employees ___ to use the back exits while
C. are requested
moving. Later today, you will receive boxes, tape, labels and other ___ for the move.
We will pack on Monday morning, and later today you will get a seating map for the new office. Thank you in advance for your cooperation on this relocation.
202.Directions: In this part you will read a selection of texts, such as magazine and newspaper articles, letters, and advertisements. Each text is followed by several questions. Select the best answer for each question and mark the letter (A), (B), (C), or (D) on your answer sheet.
153. What is NOT indicated about Tower Park?
A. It has an outdoor theater
B. It is in the downtown area
C. It has several picnic areas
D. It contains the city’s highest hill
154. What is mentioned about the park’s East Gate?
A. It remains open later than the park’s other gates
B. It is currently being renovated
C. It is short walk from a stadium
D. It is connected to a bridge
155. What kind of company most likely is being advertised?
A. An interior design company
B. A plant watering service
C. A garden supply shop
D. An outdoor landscaping business
156. What is NOT mentioned in the advertisement?
A. The address of the company’s Website
B. The cost of one of the company’s services
C. How long the company has been in business
D. How to get a free consultation from the company
157. What is indicated about the Mosley Building?
A. It has several elevators
B. It has a large indoor parking lot
C. It is in a heavily traveled location
D. It opened to the public six months ago
158. What is NOT mentioned about the space for rent?
A. It is on the building’s first floor
B. It can be accessed from Wilson Avenue
C. It has undergone improvements recently
D. It is located near a central railway station
159. What is one purpose of the e-mail?
A. To confirm an appointment
B. To apologize for shipping damage
C. To request an extension on a deadline
D. To describe the contents of a shipment
160. What can be inferred about Mr. Munson?
A. He is shipping items from Chicago
B. He is shipping some easily broken items
C. He used to work for a moving company
D. He operates a kitchen supply company
161. When most likely will Mr. Santos’s moving crew visit Mr. Munson?
A. On November 30
B. On December 12
C. On January 15
D. On January 29
162. What has changed about the picnic?
A. The starting time
B. The meeting location
C. The planned events
D. The cost of attending
163. What is NOT mentioned about Pierce Picnic Ground?
A. Running water is available there
B. It has two entrances
C. It includes a covered area
D. There is vehicle access to the area
164. What can be inferred about Eastern Technologies?
A. It has 25 employees
B. It holds a staff picnic annually
C. It lets its staff bring family members to its picnic
D. It is headquartered in a downtown area
165. What is indicated about the hotel?
A. It has separate rooms for pets
B. It has a total of 200 rooms
C. It has cooking facilities in some rooms
D. It has indoor and outdoor swimming pools
166. How much does the hotel charge for each extra adult guest?
167. What is NOT mentioned about the Rosewood Restaurant?
A. It is on the building’s first floor
B. It has free weekday buffets
C. It closes at 10 P.M. daily
D. It offers a children’s menu
168. What is one purpose of this memo?
A. To recognize an employee’s service anniversary
B. To seek volunteers for an upcoming event
C. To announce a new recycling program
D. To give details about a training session
169. The word “enlist” in paragraph 2, line 2 is closest in meaning to
170. Who most likely started the Clean Earth Program?
A. Yvonne Nguyen
B. Marge Glowacki
C. Douglas Yoon
D. David Lembke
171. Which items are NOT collected beside the photocopier?
C. ink cartridges
D. cell phones
(Questions 172-175 refer to the following e-mail.)
From: Darcy’s Store Customer Service [email protected]
To: All Darcy’s Store customers
Subject: Now it’s easier than ever to save money!
Date: June 19
Dear Valued Customers,
Have you checked out Darcy’s online store recently? We’ve just added a great new “Quick Click” feature to our virtual shop. You simply click the image of the item you want to buy, and it instantly appears in your online shopping cart. You can then proceed to our “Quick Checkout” feature and make a purchase using any approved credit card. We have hundreds of items that are available exclusively at our online shop, and you can receive a 20% online discount by entering promotion code C6606 and purchasing a minimum of $50 of merchandise. It’s that easy!
But that’s not all. When you shop online with us, our software keeps track of and stores all the items you’re interested in and automatically makes suggestions based on your preferences. And now our special services, such as express delivery or gift wrapping, can be ordered by simply clicking the appropriate boxes.
We also welcome you to come and visit any of our stores during our regular store hours 9 A.M. – 8 P.M. Mon – Sat, 11 A.M. – 7 P.M. Sun., and check out our big 2-week summer sale that starts in just two days, on Monday the 21st. We’ll be featuring 20% off all lines of clothing sold at all our stores, and we’ll even take up to 75% off select items. We’ll be handing out coupon books for future sales too, so you can keep on saving.
We hope you’ll come visit us for great deals on clothing – online 24 hours., or at one of our great store locations.
We’ll see you soon!
The Management at Darcy’s
172. What is the purpose of the e-mail?
A. To give details about an improvement to online ordering
B. To announce the opening of a new store location
C. To explain a procedure for returning items
D. To promote a store credit card
173. What is required to receive an online discount?
A. Buying at least $75 worth of items
B. Entering a promotion code
C. Using a store credit card
D. Requesting gift wrapping for an item
174. What is NOT indicated about the Web site?
A. It offers discounts on items not in the stores
B. It was recently made easier to navigate
C. It records customers’ preferences
D. It features printable coupons
175. What is mentioned about the summer sale?
A. It will last for two days
B. It will feature discounts on all clothing
C. It will be held at only one location
D. It will involve extended store hours
(Questions 176-180 refer to the following information on a Web site.)
Test products! Earn money! Influence business and industry!
Becoming a product tester for Market Focus Inc. is a great way to earn money, make your opinions heard, and even pick up insight into the world of market research. Here are the answers to Frequently Asked Questions FAQs. about product testing.
What kind of company are you, and what do you do?
We are a full-service market research firm that does innovative product tests for a broad range of clients including such award-winning companies as Hanson Foods. The company was founded by market research pioneers David and Beverly Clawson nearly 40 years ago. We were nearly bought out by the large firm DK Research last November, but David and Beverly instead passed Market Focus Inc. down to their sons, Jeff and Daniel. So, for us, market research remains a family affair. We are also a proud member of the National Association of Food Engineers.
I want to be a product tester. What do I do next?
Once you are registered to become a product tester for Market Focus Inc., your name will be placed on an availability list. When you are chosen for market research, you will be notified by phone or e-mail. You will then come to our facility on Logan Street to participate. Depending on the study, you may test food items, toys, cell phones, or even large appliances. To sign up with us, click the “join” link in the upper right and fill out the electronic registration form. The information you provide will go directly to our database, so note that we are not able to accept e-mailed applications.
I’ve been chosen for a product test. How does it work?
First, our recruiter will inform you how much your test pays. You will then be given the survey forms at our first floor reception area, and go to our research room across the hallway. The 200-seat eating area of this modern facility also serves as a working restaurant which is open for lunch daily from 11 A.M. to 3 P.M. Please note that you may not bring your own food and drink into the room, as it is a controlled environment. For the convenience of families, there is a children’s playroom next to the research room. Most of our tests last about an hour.
How often can I participate in product tests?
Names are chosen by a computer at random, based on factors including age and product preferences. You might participate in product tests once or twice in a short time period, and then several months will pass before your next test. Some people get called more than others, but at most you may do the tests 3-4 times a year.
I’m available for a product test. Can I call you and take part in one?
We’re afraid not. Part of market research is having a random group of participants. But please do free to call us to confirm that your contact information is up-to-date.
176. What is indicated about Market Focus Inc.?
A. It has always been run by the same family
B. It has won several awards for its service
C. It recently built a new headquarters building
D. It started its own professional organization