Have (present tense)
S + has / have
Click for the audio.
“Have” is usually used for ownership, ability, or for a description….
…but the word “have” is also a very popular substitute for the words “eat” and “drink.”
Have is also an important helping verb: I have lived in Minnesota for three years. In this example, (have) + (past participle) make the present perfect tense.
I have glasses.
You have sunglasses.
He has a gun.
She has a tricycle.
The cake has a lot of fruit on top of it.
We have time to learn English.
They have a hamburger and french fries.
All three children have popsicles.
Note: To make “have” negative in the present tense, use don’t or doesn’t + have.
Correct: He doesn’t have any money. / I don’t have any money.
Incorrect: He hasn’t any money. (but okay in British English)
|Have – Present Tense (negative with contraction)|
|I don’t have….||We don’t have…|
|You don’t have…||You don’t have…|
|He doesn’t have…||They don’t have…|
|She doesn’t have…|
|It doesn’t have…|
Part A. – Statements and Negative Statements
Directions: Fill in the blank with have, has, doesn’t have, or don’t have.
1. He _____________________ a very good job.
2. She ____________________ a car. (negative)
3. I __________________ much time today. (negative)
4. The students __________________ their books.
5. The cat __________________ enough food.
6. My car ____________________ any gas. (negative)
7. You ____________________ a lot of work to do.
8. We ____________________ any milk. (negative)
9. The government __________________ thousands of employees.
10. Maria _______________________ a new computer.
11. I usually _____________________ two cups of coffee every morning.
12. They _____________________ any water. (negative)
13. The house ___________________ a phone (negative)
14. Maria and John ___________________ a lot of fun when they are together.
15. You _______________________ any work to do. (negative)
16. The police ____________________ someone in the back seat of their car.
17. Arthur _______________________ his paycheck.
18. My daughter’s teacher __________________ seven children.
19. I _____________________ a toothache.
20. He never _______________________ any problems.
Part B. – Questions
Directions: Fill in the blank spaces to make questions with do, does, or have.
1. When ________ you ___________ your next class?
2. _________ she ___________ a guitar?
3. _________ I ____________ my keys and my wallet?
4. Why __________ he _____________ that ugly shirt on?
5. How __________ they ____________ time to get their work finished?
6. What time _________ Maria __________ her appointment?
7. _________ the house __________ three bedrooms?
8. Where _________ we ___________ our candles?
9. __________ the dog ____________ a collar?
10. ___________ elephants ___________ big ears?