Questions with “do”
Do I teachEnglish?
(Answer: Yes, you do.)
Do you speakEnglish?
(Answer: Yes, I do.)
Where do yougo to school?
(Answer: I go to school at the university.)
Does he likebooks?
(Yes, he does.)
Does she likeher hairstyle?
(Yes, she does.)
What color does she like?
(She likes purple.)
Does the goathave food?
(No, it doesn’t.
It needs some food.)
Do we go to school everyday?
(Yes, we do.)
What do we doin class?
(We learn English)
Do you go to school everyday?
(Yes, we do.)
What do youstudy?
(We study English.)
Do they likeice cream?
(Yes, they do.)
Where do theygo when it’s hot outside?
(They go to the beach.)
Practice writing questions and answers in the present tense
Present tense questions with the verb “do” are made two ways:
1. Yes-No Questions:
Q: Do you want some water?
A: No, I don’t.
In this first example, “do” is the helping verb, and “want” is the main verb. Use “do” or “does,” depending on the subject.
Q: Does he want to see that movie?
A: Yes, he does.
The verb “do” is often an answer to a yes-no question.
Here’s a video:
2. Questions for information:
Q: Where does he live?
A: He lives in Minnesota.
Q: What do you do for a living? (What is your job?)
A: I’m a cook.
In this example, “do” + “do” make a question.
The answer does not require the verb “do.”
I am a cook. — uses the verb “be.”
If you need more practice making information questions in the present tense,
These sentences and questions are all in the present tense. Use the correct helping verb.
The main verb is in parentheses. ( main verb )
Example: ________ she ________ here? (work).
The helping verb is “Does” and the main verb is “work.”
Does she work here?
Directions: Write this exercise by hand.
1. Question: __________ he ______________ his job? (like)
1. Answer: Yes, he _____________
2. Question: _________ you ____________ any money? (have)
2. Answer: No, I _____________.
3. Question: Where _______ they ________? (live)
3. Answer: They __________ across the street.
4. Question: What _______ you ________? (do)
4. Answer: I __________ at a restaurant. (work)
5. Question: ________ she __________? (drive)
5. Answer: Yes, she ___________.