Nouns and Pronouns
Click for the audio.
Nouns represent people, places, things, activities, emotions, and ideas.
(1) a person
(2) a place
(3) a thing
(4) an emotion
(5) an idea
Examples of nouns:
1. That man is an actor.
2. That country is beautiful.
3. I use pliers to fix things.
4. Everyone needs love.
5. I have an idea! Let’s go see a movie!
Nouns are divided into two main groups:
(click on the links above for examples and then come back here)
Pronouns represent nouns: I, you, he, she, it, we, and they are….
This quicktime video is for the pronouns “you” and “I.”
(Right click to download to your computer.)
I am a teacher.
You are a student.
He is a guitar player
She is a mother.
It is a radio.
We are people.
(I + You) = We
You are students.
Note: “You” can be singular or plural
They are a family.
“They” is always plural.
It can be used for people or things.
They are wooden chairs.
“They” is a plural pronoun for the chairs.
There are also….
Directions: Complete each sentence with the correct subject pronoun.
1. ______ is a student. (a man)
2. ________ are students (a boy and a girl in a photo)
3. Is ______ a good car? (a thing)
4. ________ are at home. (two people you think about)
5. ______ is from Nicaragua. (a woman)
6. ________ are not very good computers. (a group)
7. ______ am at work. (oneself)
8. Is _______ cold today? (the weather)
9. Are _______ members of the website? (people)
10. _____ and I are in the same class. (a woman)
Directions: Complete each sentence with the correct object pronoun.
1. John teaches ______ English every day. (you and I)
2. There’s some mail for _____ in the mailbox. (I)
3. I like _____ very much. (you–singular or plural)
4. She works with ______ at that company. (a man)
5. He likes ________ very much. (a woman)
6. They like to eat _______ with cream cheese. (a thing)
7. Sue usually puts _______ in the refrigerator. (things)
8. Please give it to ________. (I)
9. They want _______ to work this weekend. (you and I)
10. I want ________ to do something for me. (you)