Reflexive pronouns refer back to the subject:
|I taught myself how to build this website.|
|Do you listen to yourself when you speak English?|
The boy hurt himself while playing hockey.
He hurt himself.
|She made herself dizzy by spinning around.|
A computer can turn itself off to save on energy.
It turns itself off.
|We can learn for ourselves how to do many things.|
|You decide for yourselves to study English. No one tells you what to do.|
|They decide for themselves where to sit in class. The teacher doesn’t tell them where to sit.|
Match each question to a correct answer:
1. Did you come to school by yourself today?
2. Does she know how to get dressed by herself?
3. How did you hurt yourself?
4. Is he able to help himself?
5. Why are you crying?
a. No, he’ll need some help.
b. No, I walked with two of my friends.
c. I did it while I was working on my car.
d. I can’t help myself. These onions are really strong.
e. No, she’s only two years old.
1. b; 2. e; 3. c; 4. a; 5. d
Directions: Fill in the blank with the correct reflexive pronoun. The subject in each sentence will help you make the correct decision.
1. She hurt _____________ when she fell off of the swing.
2. Try not to blame _____________ for that mistake.
3. I cut ___________ almost every morning when I shave.
4. Did you all enjoy _______________at the party?
5. They are not old enough to dress ________________.
6. He taught ______________ how to play the guitar.
7. I told _____________ that I would get that job, and I did!
8. We entertained ________________ with video games.
9. You’re going to hurt _____________ with that knife.
10. My mother burned _____________ while she was cooking.
11. The cat hurt ____________ when it jumped off the fence.
12. Some girls spend hours looking at _______________ in front of a mirror.
13. The soldier shot _______________ so he could leave Iraq.
14. We need to protect _______________ so I bought a gun.
15. The boy killed _______________ with drugs and alcohol.
16. The car is so hi-tech it can drive _______________.
17. Kids, don’t hurt ________________ on the playground.
18. I did the work all by _________________.
19. Give _________________ a round of applause. You all did a good job!
20. Help _________ to some more food.